Pages

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

(Pre) Tombstone Tuesday - Welsh Tradition

I am just starting to really sort through the almost 900 photos from our trips to Wales, the UK and Ireland in March and earlier this month.  And this does not include the 500 or so generations-old family photos that hubby brought home to scan, which we returned a few weeks ago. 

I have spoken here in the past about hubby's Welsh heritage, and the Welsh tradition of wearing leeks (for the men) and daffodils (for the ladies) on March 1, the feast of Wales' patron saint, St. David's Day.

This tradition continues in many forms throughout life, including the final farewell.  We visited the family plots in Aberduar Chapel burial grounds in the village of Llanybydder, Wales, where my father-in-law lived as a child.  His mother's family is from the area and generations are buried in the chapel's churchyard. 

While walking through the grounds, I came across these relatively fresh graves. For me, this was a different treatment of a fresh grave, something I had not seen previously, and I was touched to see the leek and daffodil taking pride of place on this (I can only presume) native Welsh person's site.

Another fresh grave in the churchyard, more modestly decorated.

No comments:

Post a Comment