Pages

Friday, May 4, 2012

Family Friday Recipe - Welsh Bara Brith

My mother-in-law is a great cook.  Really.  I'm not just saying this to get on her good side.  She is a fantastic cook.  My goal for our upcoming trip is to snag her recipe for steak and kidney pie.  Not that I could ever hope to come near to her creation.  It is mouthwatering, filling, comfort food, everything wonderful.  It is often our "reward" for a long day of travel across the pond.

In the meantime, her Bara Brith is also a knock-out.  Bara brith is kind of like of a fruit cake, but not quite as dense.  Serve it with tea, or coffee.  Divine!



Marion's Bara Brith

2 oz. margarine
4 oz. brown sugar
8 oz. sultanas, golden raisins or other minced fruit
1 tsp. bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
pinch of salt
1/4 pint of boiling water
1 egg
8 oz. self-rising flour

Use a loaf pan, greased and lined. 

Put margarine, sugar, minced fruit, bicarb of soda and salt in bowl. 
Pour in boiling water and mix.  Beat in egg and flour. 
Cook one hour at 350 degrees. 

She's added a line at the bottom:
"Honestly, it does work."

Well, we begged for the recipe but have not tried it yet.  But I know it does work, I've seen her do it on numerous occasions.  She's even tutored our friends on what might have gone wrong with their attempts!
Try it, tell me if you like it. 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment