Pages

Friday, March 23, 2012

Family Friday Recipe - Oh My, Mom's Fudge!

My mom makes the Best Fudge, ever!  Yes, in capital letters, as in, she could win the Best Fudge Ever contest, hands down, every year!

It's the simplest of recipes.  Mom was always a good cook.  But of all her recipes, there are about ten or so that I love, occasionally crave and re-create for myself; this is one of them.  It's not exactly the healthiest of recipes, but hey, it's FUDGE!

I remember as a kid standing at the stove, stirring with the old wooden spoon as the butter melted, then mixing in the sugar and cocoa, working to get everything mixed.  After a few minutes, Mom would check on the progress and usually take over, because I was so lacking in the good strength to mix it all well! 

Because Mom's fudge is so delicious, I have asked her to never bring it to my house again...because I will eat all of it within one day!  I'm not exaggerating, I am like that.  Therefore, I don't have a photo to include.  Anyway, here's the most important part of this post...my mom's fabulous fudge recipe.  Enjoy!

Mom's Super-Delicious, Super-Easy Fudge

1 pound confectioner's sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder, unsweetened
1/4 tsp. salt
6 Tbsp. butter
4 Tbsp. milk
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
Optional:  You can add one cup of chopped nuts if you like. (I love nuts, but not in my fudge!)

Before starting, grease a 9 x 14 pan with butter. 
These days, I use PAM.  Mom always did, and still does, use Crisco!

In a heavy three-quart saucepan, combine all ingredients. 
Over very low heat, constantly stir mixture until well combined and smooth. 
Remove from heat.  (If you are adding nuts to the fudge, stir them in now.) 
Quickly spread onto prepared pan.

Refrigerate two hours or until firm.  Cut into one-inch squares.  Makes 24 pieces.


No comments:

Post a Comment