Pages

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Tombstone Tuesday - Old Bennington Cemetery, Vermont

About five years ago, hubby and I traveled throughout New England for a few weeks.  I love it there, there is so much wonderful history!  Treasure-filled antique shops!  Fascinating cemeteries!  One cemetery we visited was Old Bennington Cemetery in Vermont. 


This graveyard, located directly behind the Old First Church, contains the graves of about 75 revolutionary war patriots as well as other foreign soldiers killed in the Battle of Bennington.  There are many early politicians buried there as well.



The grave of American poet Robert Frost is also in the cemetery.  At the time we visited, I was of the belief that I should not photograph his grave, or much of the cemetery at all, out of respect. 

There are many graves of famous people that I have seen but did not photograph.  My feelings about photographing cemeteries is very different now.  Oh well, live and learn!

No comments:

Post a Comment