Pages

Friday, December 9, 2011

In Noble Company

Nobel Square, Cape Town
My photo, June 23, 2009.
Table Mountain, back right.
Tomorrow is the 115th anniversary of the death of Alfred Nobel.  Thus, Nobel Prizes will be awarded.  Seeing this on my calendar reminded me of my 2009 trip to Cape Town, South Africa. 


Cape Town is a beautiful, modern city with a sparkling harbor, similar to those seen in many world cities.  The tourist harbors of Baltimore, Boston and San Francisco are three that come immediately to mind.  In Cape Town, the area is called the Victoria & Alfred Waterfront.


Albert Luthuli
Nobel Square, Cape Town.
My photo, June 23, 2009.
And what's the connection to Alfred Nobel, you might wonder?  One of the Waterfront area highlights to see is Nobel Square, which includes statues of South Africa's four Nobel Peace Prize winners: Albert Luthuli, Desmond Tutu, F. W. de Klerk and Nelson Mandela.

Although something looks odd, almost squat, about the statues, they are just about life-sized.  Maybe it's that we are used to seeing statues as extremely oversized that makes these look out of the ordinary.

Speaking of oversized, with this photo, you can see the enormous Table Mountain in the background. 


Archbishop Desmond Tutu
Nobel Square, Cape Town.
My photo, June 23, 2009.

South Africa does not lead the pack with Peace Prizes; the US seems to have the most.  France, Germany and a handful of other countries also have more. 

But these four gentleman are well-respected and well-loved here in South Africa.  Their efforts have changed the face of the country.  They are gentlemen, and indeed, gentle men. 

Here are close-ups of each status.  I love that despite the cloudy day, the rainbow flag of South Africa is visible in many of these shots.


  
F.W. deKlerk
Nobel Square, Cape Town.
My photo, June 23, 2009.

Nelson Mandela
Nobel Square, Cape Town.
My photo, June 23, 2009.


1 comment:

  1. Sorry to leave this in a comment, but I couldn't find you on twitter or find an email to send it to directly. :) I mentioned you as a favorite today on my blog! And, your blog is definitely a favorite of mine. I'll try to start commenting more! Happy Friday! http://cornandcottongenealogy.blogspot.com/2011/12/friday-follow-eye-candy.html

    ReplyDelete